In Visual Studio .NET 2010 and later, you can create either a Web Site Project or Web Application project. Each project has its own advantages depending on your needs. See this Web Application Project Vs Web Site article for a more detailed comparison.
Here's an overview of your application with each project type:
Web Site Project
You have 2 options to deploy with web site project:
Web Application Project
- Use "Copy Web Site" with FTP.
- This method is ideal if you want to put the code files onto the server.
- Use "Publish Web Site with FTP.
- This method precompiles your application before deploying.
Using Web Application Project, you can either publish your web application using FTP or web deploy.
- With FTP: all of your web site files will be copied using FTP.
- With Web Deploy: your application will be packaged locally on your computer first and deploy using Web Deploy server technology. See: http://www.iis.net/expand/WebDeploy.