Before you begin, you will need to know exactly how much physical email disk space you are allotted. Each hosting plan has a different disk space limit:
- Basic: 500 MB
- Max: 2000 MB
- Ultimate: 5000 MB
Keep your hosting plan's email disk space allotment in mind as you proceed.
There is a report tool in SmarterMail that will check both the quota limit for the individual email accounts in your domain and whether you have exceeded the email disk space quota for your entire domain. To access the report, follow these instructions:
- Log in to Control Panel.
- Click the "Sites" tab.
- Click the "Manage" link next to the site you want to manage.
- Click the "Email" icon on the right side.
- Click the link labeled "SmarterMail Manager." You will be automatically logged in as the Primary Domain Administrator.
- Once in the SmarterMail interface, click the "Reports" icon on the left side (it is an icon that looks like a bar graph).
- In the left side menu, scroll down until you see the "Domain Summary Reports" folder. Click to expand it.
- Expand the "Traffic Reports" folder.
- Click on "Disk Usage."
The number under Total Disk means how much space is currently being used by the email messages in the account. The Max Disk represents the quota limit for that account. The total in bold under Total Disk represents the total amount of space used in your domain. You can ignore the total in Bold under Max Disk, but instead pay attention to the disk space number previously listed for your hosting plan.
NOTE: SmarterMail will allow you to set user quotas that total more than the total physical disk space you have available to your domain. Therefore, you need to make sure when setting user quotas that you haven't exceeded the amount of email disk space you are allotted by the hosting plan you purchased. Setting user quotas too high can cause problems.
For instructions on how to increase individual user quotas, see this Knowledge Base article.
To free up space in your email inbox(es), you can delete email messages. Make sure that the messages are also deleted from the "Deleted Items" folder or they will still take up the same amount of space. See this Knowledge Base article for an explanation.
If you are not on the Ulitmate plan, you can upgrade to a different plan to gain more email storage space:
- Log in to Control Panel.
- Click on the "Sites" tab.
- Click on the "Manage" link next to the site you want to manage.
- On the left side, below the box labeled "Site Info," click the icon labeled "Change Plan."
- Follow the instructions from there to upgrade to a Max or Ultimate plan.
For information about billing for plan upgrades, see this Knowledge Base article.